Sunday 23 October 2011

Business Identity, John Steinbeck

I was given a name of a person for whom I had to devise a set of business stationary. The assumed style and presentation should clearly reflect my understanding of that person, and what is unique and special about them. The style of the stationary can be transposed to a contemporary feel.
I would consider business papers such as business cards, compliment slips and letterheads.
My person is John Steinbeck.
John Steinbeck writes social novels about economic problems of rural labour.
I have decided to work around the quote:

'Take notice'

This quote is relevant to how he writes about the hardship of the time and how you have to take notice of the area around you.
I started this project by using the word 'notice' and taking notice of the environment around us.

The project went various ways around the idea of looking trough a hole to notice themes that Steinbeck wrote about.
I designed a letter head, bookmark, business card and a wheel that could be given to students to learn about how themes of his books interlock with each other. The bookmark is designed to highlight certain words on the page of a book, to give a new story.

Design choices such as typeface and punctuation were carefully considered and the choice not to use a capital letter on his name was relevant and he was not a 'bold' man, he was only interested in getting people through the depression using the medium of writing.

below are a few photographs of the final designs 
















No comments:

Post a Comment